While You’re Waiting On The Restoration Crew
Obviously, one of the first things to do following any sort of water or flood damage is to call in the professional help needed to repair the problem and make everything right again. While most companies offer same day emergency service, it still may be a period of hours before they can arrive and begin the restoration process. That time can be put to good use on your part, performing some common sense steps designed to mitigate the damage done and make things a bit easier for the pros when they do get there.
First, a few no no’s:
- Do not use your regular vacuum cleaner to remove standing water. There is serious risk of electrical shock.
- Similarly, don’t use electrical appliances when standing in water or on wet flooring.
- If the ceiling in a room is sagging, do not enter that room. It could collapse and cause serious injury.
- Do not put off calling for help. The sooner you get a restoration professional in there, the sooner you can have your home back.
Now for the things you can do:
- Shut off the water at the source or plug any leaks to keep more water from coming in.
- Use towels or mops to soak up as much excess water as possible.
- Wipe water from surfaces as well as furniture. Place aluminum foil between furniture legs and the carpeting.
- Prop up furniture cushions to allow all sides to dry out.
- Keep drapes and curtains off of wet carpet; let them hang and dry by using a clothes hangar to drape them over.
- Remove any rugs or area carpets that can be moved.
- Remove valuable items or documents to be dried out and restored elsewhere.
- If the damage occurs in winter, crank up the heat….in the summer, use the AC.
These simple, basic steps will effectively begin the water restoration process long before the restoration professionals arrive, and will do much to guarantee that your home will be returned to normal.
Why Choose Us?
- Free Estimates
- Available 24/7
- 60 Minute Rapid Response
- Fully Licensed And Insured
- We Work With Your Insurance Company
Thank you to 24/7 Water Restoration for quickly coming to our house and cleaning up the water damage in our basement from a burst pipe. Their technicians were extremely professional and polite. Their quick response reduced the risks of mold setting in and causing even more damage and potential allergies and health concerns for our son. Thank you for your outstanding service!Karen