Mold is the single most common byproduct of water and flood damage, usually appearing in as little as 72 hours following a water damage event, spreading rapidly, and proving almost impossible to successfully remediate. Mold destroys the surfaces on which it grows, which means that it can cause considerable physical damage to a structure, and it also brings a number of health hazards ranging from the slight to the severe. Mold is a problem that should be diligently avoided, and promptly dealt with if discovered in the home.
Mold occurs naturally in the outdoor environment, working to break down dead organic material; it basically keeps nature clean. In fact, most of us probably encounter mold every day, even inhaling the spores that it produces, with no ill effects whatsoever. This is because mold spores are only encountered on a limited basis, and our immune systems are able to handle that. The problem occurs when mold is encountered within an enclosed area, where the mold spores are in high concentrations. Then it becomes a serious health hazard.
Most mold found in our homes is harmless, usually growing on tubs or sinks, and easily eliminated through the use of a commercially available mold agent. Mold growths that occur as a result of water damage are another thing entirely, since they may grow and develop over an extended period of time before being discovered. Once a mold growth gets bigger than a two or three feet in diameter, it is trouble. Airborne mold spores may be ingested by the hundreds of thousands, and even touching the mold with your hands may be enough to send thousands of more spores into the air, allowing the air conditioning system to spread them throughout your home, effectively propagating the mold problem. Homes, businesses, and even entire city blocks have been condemned and torn down for no other reason than out of control mold growth.
Mold is well known for the health hazards that it creates, everything from mild allergic reactions and skin irritation to more serious problems such as neurological disorders and lung disease. In rare cases, even death has been reported.
Many people have their homes tested for mold, which can be a time consuming and costly process. In most cases, it is unnecessary. Mold makes its presence known through the appearance of fuzzy, greenish black growth on pipes or walls, as well as a musty, noxious odor that is almost impossible to mistake for anything else. If you suspect that you have mold in your home, then in all likelihood you do. The next best step is to have a mold inspection done, as this will determine the extent of the mold problem your home is facing.
A mold removal professional from 24/7 Water Restoration can perform a thorough inspection of your property, locating and marking all mold growth within the home, and develop a procedure designed to eliminate the problem and prevent it from returning.
The first step in mold remediation is to determine the source of the moisture and shutting it off or blocking it. Mold removal will do no good if the growth simply keeps coming back. Once the moisture source is eliminated, the old has lost its source of nutrition. Now the mold can be removed. A mold professional will be able to remove the growth without disturbing it, and without causing it to spread to other areas of the home. Unfortunately, far too many companies stop at this point and consider the job complete.
The fact is that the mold problem will return unless the affected area is treated to make it inhospitable for mold growth. This means going beyond the removal of the mold and disinfecting/sanitizing the area, improving the ventilation, and bringing down the relative humidity levels. The level of humidity in a home should be somewhere between 40-45%....anything more allows the mold to return. This can be done through modifications to the area, such as the addition of a door or window, or the installation of a dehumidifying unit that can be run either constantly or intermittently to keep humidity and moisture levels within acceptable parameters.
Because of the danger of mold being spread if touched or disturbed, it is always advisable to have a professional mold removal and remediation service to handle the problem. They will have the equipment and techniques necessary to remove the mold problem and treat the area to prevent it from returning. Better still, all work will be guaranteed, so you can rest assured of a quality job done right the first time.
For all of your fire and water damage repair and remediation issues, contact the professionals at 24/7 Water Restoration. Certified by the Clean Trust, they are available and ready to handle all of your water, mold, or fire damage restoration needs. Call for a free estimate. We can have a technician on your doorstep within the hour, ready to assess your needs and begin the cleanup and restoration process.
Why Choose Us?
- Free Estimates
- Available 24/7
- 60 Minute Rapid Response
- Fully Licensed And Insured
- We Work With Your Insurance Company
Thank you to 24/7 Water Restoration for quickly coming to our house and cleaning up the water damage in our basement from a burst pipe. Their technicians were extremely professional and polite. Their quick response reduced the risks of mold setting in and causing even more damage and potential allergies and health concerns for our son. Thank you for your outstanding service!Karen